On June 21, 1926, forty-two men gathered in the auditorium of Central Elementary School and organized the Belmont Volunteer Fire Department. For the first several months, water buckets and wet sacks were the only equipment the department utilized to suppress fires but after a series of fundraisers the department was able to acquire a second-hand Seagrave chemical and hose truck from the City of San Leandro for $700. On March 28, 1928, the Belmont Fire Protection District was organized as an independent political subdivision with tax-levying powers to raise money to finance the department.
During the depression in 1935 the department’s central fire station was built on O’Neill Avenue as part of the State Emergency Relief Administration (SERA) to put unemployed residents to work. In 1938 the department hired its first full-time paid employees. Today, the department staffs two fire stations with twenty-one Firefighters. The Fire District’s Board of Directors is comprised of members of the Belmont City Council and their meetings are held concurrent with the City Council Meetings, which occur on the 2nd and 4th Tuesday of each month. For agendas and minutes from the meetings please click here.
Foster City Fire is a relatively "young" department, having been formed in 1965 before Foster City itself was officially incorporated in 1971.
The Department originally operated as a Public Safety Department with all personnel performing both Police and Fire functions. In 1976, the Police and Fire Divisions separated, and personnel became dedicated to a single function, police or fire, though both Divisions continued to be administered by a single Public Safety Chief. It was not until 1981 that Police and Fire became separate and distinct Departments under separate executive management.
After two disastrous fires in five years, five community members called for a public meeting to be held on April 6, 1887 at Library Hall. That same afternoon, the hall burned to the ground because they had no way to fight the fire and had to wait until Redwood City could arrive on the scene.
On May 7, 1887, the San Mateo County Board of Supervisors appointed a fire commission. The Commission then held an election to raise money for a hose, hose cart, hook and ladder unit, and a building in which to store them. The volunteer Fire Department was officially organized on March 18, 1889.